Friday, December 17, 2010

public transportation in Delhi

Delhi is a rediculously enormous sprawling city. It covers almost 600 square miles. My hometown of Cable, in comparison, covers about 5. My bus from the north dropped me off right at one edge and I had a plane to catch 4 hours later at the other edge. I thought to myself, "sounds like a good opportunity to put public transportation to the test." To start things off, I had to cheat a bit and take a 3-wheeled "auto rickshaw" to the center of town called "Connaught Place."



Then I hopped on a subway, which was only introduced/completed earlier this year! Naturally, the line that goes to the airport is still very much under construction. I got some advice from a local policeman and hopped on a train to a stop about 12 miles from the airport (by Delhi standards, this is "close.")



I then walked over to a nearby road and found a local man who worked at the airport to serve as my guide. I hopped on a bus with him and literally about 80 people, 50 of whom were standing. I had a big trekking pack on my back and a daypack in the front, which made for a tight squeeze in a smushed-in bus. After about 40 minutes, we hopped off the moving bus (it never really stops, only slows down) and got on another one, which looked like it was built in the early 1960's.



This time, I was not able to fit in the bus, so stood on the stairs, hanging on for dear life as my backpack protruded into the chaotic streets. As my hands became numb from supporting my weight on a railing, we reached the next transfer point.



After negotiating a few wandering cows, dump trucks and motor cycles, we crossed to the median to catch our next bus--this one actually headed to the airport!

I arrived right on time to check in for my flight. It was not the easiest way to get to the airport, but certainly more memorable than a boring old taxi ride. And I made a friend along the way.

No comments: