Sunday, December 27, 2009

12.28.09 from Kathmandu: Monks and Blood-Guzzling Dogs

Many people have asked me what a monk is. Do they get married? Are they highly evolved spiritual beings? How do they become monks? Who supports them?

Monks are by definition celibate and live in monasteries away from society. Some of the monks here are orphans, some of them were sent by their parents to receive an education, and a handful came here because they wanted to pursue the spiritual life. They are supported by local and foreign patrons of the monastery, and some by their families. They receive spending money when they are asked by a sponsor, for instance, to say prayers for a deceased or ill family member.

Monks are students in a same-gender boarding school, which happens to focus on religious topics such as rituals, prayers, meditation, and philosophy. As you know, I teach them English and they sometimes receive other kinds of secular instruction as well. As with any school, you have your students who would rather play than learn, and those who have an insatiable intellectual curiosity. The former often times become householders when they reach their 20’s and they have received an education. The latter may stay on and get the equivalent of a Ph.D. in Buddhism at a Buddhist University or a monastery study program and become teachers or leaders for the next generation of monk-students or Western Buddhist students.

Every Friday is song day in my middle school class, and over Christmas I taught them such classics as Frosty the Snow Man and Jingle Bells. Along with singing the songs, we had highly animated dance moves choreographed for every verse. If I would’ve brought my video camera, it may well have become the biggest YouTube sensation since the Philippino prison workers did the Michael Jackson Thriller dance. Maybe next time.

The most notorious resident of the monastery is Kali, a ferocious black dog that bites pretty much everyone not wearing a monk’s robe. The dog’s name comes from the Hindu Goddess Kali, who is considered to be the most avid blood guzzler in the universe. In Nepal, Hindus kill many thousands of goats, sheep, buffalo, and chickens at her shrines and spray the blood on her statue to satiate her thirst. In the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, all of the blood sacrifices that go on, including human sacrifices, are done in her honor.

Kali the dog has seen me many times per day every day for about two months, but still can’t resist lunging at me for a good leg munch once in a while. I thought we had a truce going until I came home one evening last week from my friend’s house. The other three dogs recognized me and didn’t bother getting up from the chairs they were laying in. About 3 feet from the hallway of the building I lived, Kali jumped up and clamped her chompers right into the back of my knee. I yelled at her and took a swing with my foot. My shoe was not all the way on, and flew off my foot about 30 feet into the air to the top of the monastery roof. The monastery caretaker intervened and helped to subdue the seemingly rabid demon-dog, but not before I had a painful wound on my leg. I now carry a stick to ward off attack.

2 comments:

Jamila said...

Hey Z! Sun, Sol, Dad and I just read your blog aloud and Dad wants to know if you want him to send a muzzle to put on the dog? He has a camel muzzle from Algeria if that might help. We haven't tried sledding yet because it's not the same without you! We love you so much...

debpyne said...

Hi Zach, Jamila sent me your latest blog entry. What an incredible adventure you are having! I loved the lion dance especially, and the pictures you send really help make it all real. I know you understand that everything is pretty exotic from my point of view, having never been there...you are enlivening my worldview and imagination by tons!

Hope you have made peace with the Kali dog and that you are really finding time for your spiritual sessions too. Stay well; glad you are so happy... Love, Deb